Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday 16 November 2014

My Current Skincare Routine

I think it's about time I shared with you all my current skincare routine as I've stuck to the same four products for a few months so I feel like I've given them long enough to give my two cents on what I think. As a bit of background information my skin is very dry and dehydrated, mostly clear with the odd little spot here and there and is prone to being very flaky and dull. (Sounds lovely, doesn't it?) I keep things pretty simple with no fancy products, nothing that breaks the bank and nothing that takes more time than is entirely necessary when I'm desperate to get into bed or have slept in in the morning. So here you go - a step by step run through of my skincare routine.



Step 1 - Makeup Removal
In the evening the first thing I do is remove my makeup, if I've been wearing any that day, using the Body Shop Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter. I massage it into my skin and well in to my eyes and eyelashes to lift all my makeup, then using a hot, damp facecloth wipe it off and then pat my face dry. I find that this cleanser is very good at removing makeup and even gets most of my waterproof mascara off but I do still need a second go to make sure everything is completely clean and makeup free.

Step 2 - Second Cleanse
Next I use the La Roche-Posay Physiological Cleansing Milk to do a second cleanse. This is a creamy lotion and feels so nice on my skin. I massage it in while my skin is dry, making sure to get any makeup off that is left around my eyes. I love that both this and the Body Shop cleanser don't sting or irritate my eyes. They both feel very gentle and soothing so I don't have to worry about using a separate eye makeup remover. After the cleanser is well worked into my skin I wash it off with a hot, damp face cloth.

Step 3 - Serum
The final two steps are all about hydration. First of all I use Hydraluron Moisture Boosting Facial Serum from Indeed Labs (btw this is a third off at Boots at the minute). This is a clear gel like liquid which is made of hyaluronic acid so is meant to be super hydrating. It dries down on the skin to a slightly tacky finish which in a way I like as it makes me feel like my moisturiser will then cling on to my skin to hydrate it more than normal. I doubt there's much truth to this but I enjoy using it and until I can afford Sarah Chapman Skinesis I think I'm gonna have to make do with the cheapy version.

Step 4 - Moisturiser
So here is where things go slightly downhill and I'm not loving what I'm using. I've been using The Body Shop's Vitamin E Moisture Cream and let me start by saying this is not a bad product - it has a lovely texture, it smells nice, it doesn't irritate my skin and hasn't broken me out. The problem with this is simply that it isn't right for my skin. I was advised in the shop that the Vitamin E range is for dry skin so thought that this would be rich enough to moisturise my dry skin which it definitely isn't. This sinks in as soon as I have finished applying it (something that might be a good thing for someone with oilier skin but for me I like something thick and rich that sits on my skin) so it leaves my skin feeling dry. I end up putting on layer after layer of this waiting for my skin to be hydrated enough that the product doesn't soak up immediately but I don't ever reach that point. Maybe the night cream or intense version of this would work better for me but I think I'm going to try another brand next time. I'm nearly finished this now so if any dry skinned girls have a better recommendations let me know.

In the morning all the steps are the exact same apart from the makeup removal (except after the odd night out when my makeup remains fully intact until the next morning but we'll brush over that for now).

So that's it - everything I use on my face to keep it clean, clear and as hydrated as possible. Let me know what your skincare staple products are and if you have any recommendations for a new moisturiser let me know :)

2 comments:

  1. Okay the Body Shop Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter looks utterly perfect. :] // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's really great! Highly recommend :) x

      Delete